Monday, March 16, 2009

Caleb's Mountain

"Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh; he shall see it, and to him will I give the land that he hath trodden upon, and to his children, because he hath wholly followed the Lord."
Deuteronomy 1:36

God gave Caleb the land he had trodden upon....

Caleb was one of the two faithful spies who gave a faithful report. It is true that all twelve spies gave an accurate report - they didn't lie about the facts. They correctly reported the pros and cons of the task ahead of them.

Ten of the spies looked at the information they had and concluded that they better not attempt to possess the Promised Land. They simply didn't view the task ahead through the eyes of faith. The Bible says they gave an "evil report".

The other two spies, Joshua and Caleb, looked at the very same information and came to a totally different conclusion! They insisted that Israel was well able to possess the land because God would fight for them! The Bible says they gave a "good report".

Forty years later, only two members of that generation remained: Caleb and Joshua. All others who were 20 years or older at that time perished in the desert, just as God said.

God remembers Caleb and gives him the land he has trodden upon.

What about me? Am I expecting God to bless me while I sit on the sidelines? Or am I willing to actively explore in faith areas that God wants to conquer through me?

Here's a scary question... are there areas I avoid "treading upon" so that God won't use me there?

Better to say, as Caleb said, "I want that mountain"

No comments:

Post a Comment