Thursday, February 3, 2011

Two Essentials for a Perfect Environment

My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: for length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.  Proverbs 3:1-2

LENGTH OF DAYS
'Longest possible duration of hours allotted for work'... reminds me of God lengthening the day so Joshua and Israelites could finish their days' work of utterly defeating the armies of the five kings of the Amorites at Gibeon.  If God was willing to lengthen the day so Joshua could complete his assignment, God is willing to lengthen my day to complete my assignment.  So then there's really no such thing as "biting off more than I can chew" when God has given the assignment.

LONG LIFE
'Extended, drawn out, exceeding the common measure of years'... reminds me of God extending the life of Caleb, not only in number of years, but in vigor such that Caleb could say at the ripe old age of 85 after wandering 45 years in the desert, "I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.  Now therefore give me this mountain..." (Joshua 14:11-12).  So then there's really no such thing as "aging out" of active duty in God's service.

PEACE
'State of quiet or tranquility, freedom from disturbance/agitation from others, or from our own passions of mind'... reminds me of God's peace upon Rahab and her household in the midst of the week of terror at Jericho.  "I know that the LORD hath given you the land, and that your terror is fallen upon us, and that all of the inhabitants of the land faint because of you... as soon as we heard these things, our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the LORD your God, he is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath."  Yet the one inhabitant of Jericho who was willing to place her trust in God did receive COURAGE to hide the spies and the PEACE to abide with her family under the protection of the scarlet line even as the walls all around her tumbled down.  So then there's no reason for us to ever be "under the circumstances" when God's peace is ever available to those who abide under the protection of the scarlet line.

What must I do to have length of days, long life and peace?  Verse 1 lists two essential requirements.
  1. Don't forget the rules God has prescribed for what I shall do, what I shall not do, and what I may do.
  2. Enthrone in my heart the specific orders and commands of God.  Make it my heart's desire to obey God.
When my heart, mind, and will are fixed upon carrying out God's will, then He will provide the perfect work environment in which to complete my assignment on this earth: length of days, long life, and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment