Tuesday, April 6, 2010

SITL 3: A Journey of Grace

And now for verse 3 of Stepping In The Light...


Walking in footsteps of gentle forbearance,
Footsteps of faithfulness, mercy and love,
Looking to Him for the grace freely promised,
Happy, how happy, our journey above.

What a vivid word picture this verse expresses. In my mind's eye, I see the same strong Savior who defended me from temptation in verse two, now leading me on a journey.

The strong Savior doesn't goad and push and drive me from behind like common cattle; He goes before me on the journey and leads me gently with forbearance,

For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.  Psalm 103:14

He is faithful to "never leave thee nor forsake thee" on the journey. He is merciful: He doesn't give me the bad that I deserve; instead, He gives me love that I do not deserve. What a vivid picture of grace, a grace that teaches me to forsake the world's path and take up His path.  A grace that makes me want to follow Him closely, step where He steps, keep His pace, endure and perservere without complaint.

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world... Titus 2:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment