Thursday, April 1, 2010

God's Ultimate Judgment: Having My Own Way

Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices (Prov 1:31).

This passage in Proverbs paints a picture of Wisdom crying in the streets, publicly inviting men to come and partake of her banquet.

Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you (Prov 1:23). 

But foolish men REFUSE her call, DISREGARD her helping hand, IGNORE her counsel, and RESIST her reproof.  Fools refuse the banquet of wisdom.  They push back against the wisdom of God because they want their own way, and God allows them to have their own way.  In so doing, God is actually pronouncing the ultimate form of judgment upon them.

Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.  For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them (Prov 1:31-32).

A day of calamity surely looms in their future.  When that dreadful day comes, the fool will cry out asking God to relieve them of their troubles.  This is not a cry of repentance nor a cry for forgiveness.  It is a request for God to remove His judgment.  In that dreadful day, Wisdom will not answer them; rather she will laugh and mock (Prov 1:24-30).

May I never forget the peril of having my own way.  May I hearken unto God and His wisdom.

But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil (Prov 1:33).

No comments:

Post a Comment