Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Seeing With God's Heart

"And Jonathan said to the young man that bare his armour, Come, and let us go over unto the garrison of these uncircumcised: it may be that the LORD will work for us for there is no restraint to the LORD to save by many or by few." I Samuel 14:6

Jonathan is in the same situation as Saul and Israel, yet his response is completely different, because his heart is inclined to see things as God sees them.

First, Jonathan sees the enemy differently. Jonathan sees the Philistines as "these uncircumcised". In other words, Jonathan sees them as God's enemies - those who have refused to follow after God. He doesn't define them in terms of their relationship to himself, but in terms of their relationship with God. But Saul sees the Philistines in terms of their relationship to himself, as his enemies ("that I may be avenged on mine enemies" I Sam 14:24). What a difference it would make in my day-to-day life if I would see people in terms of their relationship to God instead of their relationship to me.

Second, Jonathan positions himself differently. "Come, and let us go". Jonathan wants to be in a position to be used of God however God deems fit. Jonathan leaves the place of safety, comfort, and notoriety to draw near to the place of usefulness. Meanwhile, Saul is tarrying under a pomegranate tree seeking the counsel of a fake (but well-dressed) priest who has been rejected by God. Saul has positioned himself in a little scene orchestrated to make him appear surrendered to God. This is image marketing at its finest, but that's all it is - an empty image - a mirage - all done for the praise of man.

It is Jonathan who is truly surrendered to God. His actions are done in secret because he cares nothing about the praise of man. True surrender shuns the spotlight. Those who are truly surrendered to God and His purposes for His glory would rather go about their tasks unrecognized. What a difference it would make in my life if I would position myself for usefulness and care nothing for the praise of man.

Third, Jonathan does the math differently. "...it may be that the LORD will work for us for there is no restraint to the LORD to save by many or by few." Jonathan has done the math differently than Saul. Jonathan's not willing to fight with just two (me and my armorbearer), but he is willing to fight with three (me, my armorbearer, and the LORD). Saul, on the other hand, is tarrying under a pomegranate tree because he only has 600 men and a fake priest. Please let me spend the rest of my life doing the math like Jonathan! Please let more Christians of this age do the math like Jonathan!

Lord, help me see people in terms of their relationship with you, not in terms of their relationship with me. Help me to position myself for your usefulness and glory with no regard for the praise of man. Help me to do the math like Jonathan and be willing to fight the good fight with you alone at my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment